Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] IDS vs IPS

From: pieter claassen <pieter () countersnipe com>
Date: 21 Aug 2003 11:28:49 +0100

I agree with Jed in that IPS has been developed to classify a "new"
science of automated response to suspected intrusions. However, I do
believe this terminology is important to get right and clear because:

1. There are lost of different ways that you can automate response to an
intrusion ranging from dropping a susp packet silently on the floor to
refusing to do any business with the offending user (Firewall
reconfigure) and these things are very different.
2. So many people are running around in the market claiming to be
selling IPS and all their products do very different things so how do
you compare them?
3. All these products that do different things have profoundly different
impacts on the implementor's organisation. They not only change the way
company's handle IR but because they are so different, they all change
it uniquely. You should really do a custom analysis of the potential
benefit/impact of each product to be able to compare them.

There is currently too much FUD around IPS and I have started drafting a
IPS best practice guide with some input from vendors and consultants to
try and get a clearer understanding around the issues that will impact
IPS. I believe that will clear the terminology issues up by itself. You
can get this guide at http://snortinline.org (note this site is only
temporary until the snil community decides if they want to adopt it)

IPS should rather be called IDP (Intrusion Detection and Prevention) and
Netscreen will love that!

Shouldn't this discussion move to the snort-inline mailing list?

Pieter