Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs IPS

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:38:58 -0400

At 09:43 AM 8/22/2003 +0530, Ravi wrote:
> inline-snort I don't know much about, but I think it interacts with the linux kernel's IPTables/netfilter layer directly. As such, it can only work on linux,
Does inline not work with windows!!

No inline-snort does not work with Windows... Windows does not have a built in firewall that inline-snort could use, as such it would be impossible for it to do so without commercial software add ons.

Linux on the other hand has IPTables. inline-snort is a project which is very specific to the Linux kernel's firewall capabilities. I don't think it even works with BSD's IPF, but it might.

Snort itself works on windows as an IDS, and snortsam can be run on windows and can reconfigure a checkpoint firewall1 firewall for windows. However, since windows has no decent firewall to start with, you have to buy a separate firewall to use Windows for an IPS of any sort.

Personally, if you're going to go this route, I'd buy a separate hardware firewall such as a Cisco PIX, or some other firewall device that snortsam supports. Being a software firewall on a windows machine makes me mistrust FW-1.. if for no other reason than it's easy to misconfigure the windows machine and have someone exploit it directly. A separate dedicated firewall may have vulnerabilities too, but it's not as likely to be a target of worms like blaster.