Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs IPS

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () EVI-INC COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:19:02 -0400

At 12:10 PM 8/20/2003 -0400, Vkmobile () aol com wrote:
So is Snort an IDS or an IPS (Intrusion Prevention) or both?

Also, how can an IDS be converted to an IPS? Can someone point me in the right direction such as an FAQ or some website where i can read and learn?

Snort itself is an IDS, and specifically a NIDS (network IDS) as opposed to a HIDS (host IDS). There are tools like inline-snort and snortsam which make it into an IPS by allowing it to interact with a firewall to block packets.

Snortsam is quite powerful, but it acts slightly after the offending packet, so it won't block the packet that caused the alert. It's capable of reconfiguring a wide variety of firewalls, including hardware boxes like the cisco PIX.

inline-snort I don't know much about, but I think it interacts with the linux kernel's IPTables/netfilter layer directly. As such, it can only work on linux, but might be able to block packets in true realtime. (at the expense of some network slowdown if your rules are complex).