Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: SnortCenter Configuration

From: "Roy S. Rapoport" <snort-users () ols inorganic org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:01:54 -0700

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:25:12AM +0200, Joerg Weber wrote:
These problems were introduced into SnortCenter with the release of
Snort 2.0, and not fixed yet. Seen that the tool has quite some
complexity and the author provides it for free, I'm reluctant to label
it damn sloppy, I'll agree though that it's a headache at the moment.

I think it's important to differentiate ungrateful whining from
constructive feedback.  So I'm not going to say "SnortCenter sucks! It,
like, totally doesn't work!"

I _will_ say that I'm spending some time right now poring through the
code and finding problems that are causing it not to work in ways that
are significant enough to make me think it's not just me that would be
having these problems.  This is pretty much as early and immature of a
development version for a product as I've ever played with, and I
suppose I might be a little grateful if it was named something other
than 'RC1.'  'Release Candidate 1' in every software environment where
I've worked typically has meant "OK, we put this through our
hopefully-rigorous QA process and we can't find any drop-dead bugs.
Here's perhaps the last chance before we make it official."  This isn't
RC1.  It's not even beta -- it's more like alpha, or maybe pre-alpha.

Don't get me wrong -- Mr. Dens deserves credit for a great concept and,
quite possibly a great product before this particular version -- but
this version is significantly problematic.

So hey, it's the Open Source world, right? So I shouldn't complain if
I'm not willing to help? You betcha.  Fear the unemployed sysadmin who
knows PHP and MySQL.  I've sent Mr. Dens some emails with the problems
I've found and how I've fixed them.  If he decides to move over to a
more cooperative development environment (say, sourceforge?), I'll be
happy to contribute code.

-roy