Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.0 rc1 pass solved / now mysql problem

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () cbu edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:42:25 -0600

I discovered that my startup script was eliminating both the -D and -o options when I was running in test mode. When I started to get the rule problems, I switched to test mode and it was in test mode that the majority of the passes were ignored. I have since changed this so that the -o option is added in test mode. Therefore there is no problem with the -o option after all.
==============================
Once I finally got snort running, I discovered that the snort process would die after about 5-10 minutes. It died in both daemon mode and non-daemon mode. When it died in non-daemon mode, it created a core file and had the following error:

./snortd: line 61: 6708 Segmentation Fault $SNORT_PATH/snort -c $CONFIG -i $IFACE -g $SNORT_GID -l $LOGDIR $OPTIONS

where:

./snortd is my startup script
$SNORT_PATH=/usr/local/bin
CONFIG=/etc/snort2/snort.conf
LOGDIR=/var/log/snort2
IFACE=dmfe1
SNORT_GID=nogroup
OPTIONS=-"-o"

Sun V100
Solaris 9
gcc 3.2
        ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
mysql 4.10 gamma

I successfully ran this version without the output to the mysql database for 30 minutes. Version 1.9.1 ran fine with this version of mysql. Does version 2.0 rc1 have a problem with this version of mysql? Do I need to install a version 3 mysql instead?

Ken

At 09:09 AM 3/31/03 -0500, Chris Green wrote:
"Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () cbu edu> writes:

> 3.  Once I did get Snort to start, I noticed that a lot of the rules that
> had pass rules for specific circumstances were starting to fire where they
> did not in version 1.9.1. The database started to fill up very fast with
> all of these situations where the pass rule should have prevented the
> alert.  When I eventually stopped Snort, only 11 passes were recorded
> where there should have been hundreds if not thousands.  The startup
> script I used was the same startup script that I had used for version
> 1.9.1.

The other 2 issues are known and fixed.

Please create an example configuration of what's going on with a
snort.conf, command line, a pass rule, an alert rule and perferably a
packet capture.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
To err is human, to moo bovine.