Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.0 rc1 available

From: "Paul B. Poh" <paul () paulpoh com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:14:29 -0500

Rob Hughes wrote:

Tasty... Still trying to work out what's causing "(spp_stream4) STEALTH
ACTIVITY (unknown) detection" alerts on my FreeBSD box, but looks good
so far. I'm curious though, why was the ANS.1 preprocessor removed, and
why where the SNMP options removed from the default config? Was ANS
decoding rolled up into something else?

Thanks,
Rob

Funny you mentioned that. I was just wondering myself why the asn1 preprocessor was removed. I did look around the other preprocessors and I did not see asn1 decoding anywhere.

I also noticed that the fnord preprocessor was also removed in 2.0.

Both these preprocessors have a habit of generating lots of false positives. Maybe that's why it's gone :-)

Paul.