Snort mailing list archives

RE: Question on database for Snort

From: "Kreimendahl, Chad J" <Chad.Kreimendahl () umb com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:35:07 -0600

The majority of setups I've seen with mySQL tend to bog down greatly
when you approach 100k events in the db.  Postgres seems to handle much
more, but still has its problems as the numbers increase.  Oracle has
been the most stable, for those I've had experience with.  I've seen
several Oracle setups storing snort information running much more
complex front-ends than ACID... that easily store and retrieve tens of
millions of records without much more delay than it would a few
thousand.

Of course, the overhead in running Oracle is greater, and the knowledge
required to install, run, maintain Oracle DB is way way beyond that of
mySQL or postgres.  If you have a good Oracle DBA, my opinion is to go
for Oracle.  If not, try to find some archiving solution for mySQL,
limiting it to less than 100k records in the main db, all while having
to rebuild the tables to get your space and speed back.

It's all about trading one headache for the other....