Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.9 vs 2.0

From: Florin Andrei <florin () sgi com>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 11:41:08 -0700

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 12:31, Martin Roesch wrote:
No, let me explain.  Snort 1.9.0 was released last week.  The merge
that we did last night is the basis of the Snort 2.0 development
branch, basically Snort with several extensions that were developed at
Sourcefire to enable us to hit gigabit speeds.  The Sourcefire
extensions are open source and available under the GPL, just like the
rest of Snort.  The only difference is that we spent several hundred
thousand dollars on salaries, equipment and hard core research to bring
this update to you instead of having me try to write it in my spare
time. :)

Excellent! Kudos to everyone at Sourcefire!

Now, remember my question at your talk a few months ago in Silicon
Valley? ;-) Are we going to get reliable full SQL logging? Including
portscan data?
That was my biggest problem with Snort 1.8 - some portscan-related
information never made it to the database, but only to the text log.

--
Florin Andrei

If you wear a tinfoil hat nowadays, people will just think
you're advertising for some Mel Gibson movie.