Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.9 vs 2.0

From: Hervé Debar <herve.debar () francetelecom com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:03:44 +0200

Martin Roesch wrote:
No, let me explain. Snort 1.9.0 was released last week. The merge that we did last night is the basis of the Snort 2.0 development branch, basically Snort with several extensions that were developed at Sourcefire to enable us to hit gigabit speeds. The Sourcefire extensions are open source and available under the GPL, just like the rest of Snort. The only difference is that we spent several hundred thousand dollars on salaries, equipment and hard core research to bring this update to you instead of having me try to write it in my spare time. :)

The Snort 2.0-dev branch is the CVS HEAD now, the Sourcefire mods have been released into the open source domain as part of our "ethical contract" with the Open Source community to bring the best of commercial development contributions (money, test equipment, people who get paid to work on this stuff) with the best of the open source contributions (huge QA team, tight feedback between developers and users, continuous improvement of codebase).

I hope you guys will enjoy this monumental leap in performance that we've just contributed and that we can all continue to have fun and make Snort the best IDS possible!

So IIUC, snort-devel on snort.org is snort 2.0 on sourcefire, right ?

Am I right in assuming that the rule writing is also changing ?

Thanks,

Hervé
--
Hervé Debar                <mailto:herve.debar () francetelecom com>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61               GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66