Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule update with snortcenter

From: Atul Shrivastava <atul_iet () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:28:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
When I have done a fresh installation of snort center agent and then click on the UPDATE from the Internet then it
displays that " No update this time " while I am updating it for the first time.
Also when I check the snort configuration file then there is no rule in it.
Can anyone tell me the solution.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
               Atul Shrivastava

 Jens Krabbenhoeft <tschenz-snort-users () noris net> wrote:Michael,

Why Snortcenter doesn't recognize that there are rules more up to date
on www.snort.org?

The way snortcenter checks for new signatures is as follows:

* a known signature has a known revision - if that revision increases,
it says "rule has updated"
* if it finds an unknown sid, it says "rule added"

Apparently the snortrules-stable file has no new rules since 2002/10/31:

grep "\$Id" * | grep "2002/11"
grep "\$Id" * | grep "2002/10"
policy.rules:# $Id: policy.rules,v 1.25.2.1 2002/10/18 15:24:20 andrewbaker Exp $
grep "\$Id" * | grep "2002/09"
attack-responses.rules:# $Id: attack-responses.rules,v 1.16 2002/09/18 12:52:31 cazz Exp $
experimental.rules:# $Id: experimental.rules,v 1.64 2002/09/17 18:38:10 roesch Exp $

There are new rules in cvs HEAD, which work with cvs HEAD only. These
are also in the http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-current.tar.gz
file.

Hth,
jens