Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proper Method and/or Place to Declare HTTP_SERVERS port?

From: "Vadim Pushkin" <wiskbroom () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:18:08 +0000

OK, here is what I have done so far. Thanks again to all
of you for your help and/or comments.

1. I've added a new variable named HTTP_SERVERS_PORT
  to all of my snort.conf files, I have 8 on one box.

2. I've changed every instance of 80, when it referred
  to this port number, in *all* of my rules files to
  read $HTTP_SERVERS_PORT.

3. Some of my snort.conf files have var HTTP_SERVERS_PORT set
  to 8180, others have this set to 80 since we also have
  "normal" servers running at some locations.

4. Does anyone else besides me think that this should be a
  permanent change to the rules and snort.config files?
  Defaulting to port 80 of course.

My questions to my setup,

a. How do I declare NO HTTP_SERVERS at all? In other words,
  I want to know whenever someone tries to make an attempt
  to port 80 or even SMTP/SQL, since I do not have these
  services running at that particuliar level and I want to
  know of attempts to use them?

b. How do I add services, I have about 100 of these, which are
  permitted, for example OK from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/32 port 12345
  to $HOME_NET or ONE particuliar IP? Basically, I want to
  convert my cisco routers acl to match my snort rulesets.

c. Am I ruining anything by having my ports changed to port
  8180? By the way, 8180 is my proxy server, perhaps just add
  this variable instead?

Thank you all,

Vadim