Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proper Method and/or Place to Declare HTTP_SERVERS port?

From: "Vadim Pushkin" <wiskbroom () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 21:18:20 +0000

In this case I will create another var, say
var HTTP_SERVERS_PORT, set it to 8180 and
change 80 in the rules files to $HTTP_SERVERS_PORT.
Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks again,

Vadim

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
To: Vadim Pushkin <wiskbroom () hotmail com>
CC: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Proper Method and/or Place to Declare HTTP_SERVERS port?
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Vadim Pushkin wrote:

> I am using port 8180 versus port 80. I would prefer not messing around with > all of the rules files. I've noticed that the rules files themselves specify > port 80, but my servers are listening on port 8180. Is there a way to change
> this in the snort.conf file? I've tried setting:
>
> preprocessor http_decode: 8180 -unicode -cginull
>
> but I still get alarms for hosts possibly port scanning my HTTP_SERVERS.

And you will continue to.  :)

The http_decode preprocessor has _nothing_ to do with the rules. It strictly
deals with 'normalizing' the URLs before snort runs them thru the rulesets.

You'll need to manually (or via a script) change port 80 in each of the
*.rules to port 8180.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams