Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proper Method and/or Place to Declare HTTP_SERVERS port?

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Vadim Pushkin wrote:

I am using port 8180 versus port 80. I would prefer not messing around with
all of the rules files. I've noticed that the rules files themselves specify
port 80, but my servers are listening on port 8180. Is there a way to change
this in the snort.conf file? I've tried setting:

preprocessor http_decode: 8180 -unicode -cginull

but I still get alarms for hosts possibly port scanning my HTTP_SERVERS.

And you will continue to.  :)

The http_decode preprocessor has _nothing_ to do with the rules.  It strictly
deals with 'normalizing' the URLs before snort runs them thru the rulesets.

You'll need to manually (or via a script) change port 80 in each of the
*.rules to port 8180.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams