Snort mailing list archives

Re: Naming convention of Snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:31:38 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jason Hammerschmidt wrote:

Why name Snort a NIDS when it's really a Host based IDS.. often being
used as an attempted NIDS via Ethernet taps/port mirroring.

Ummm...  A HIDS is something that actually sits on one box and _only_ looks at
that one box.  Snort is a NIDS, since it monitors network traffic and not host
based processes/data.  Since that's the case, the best way to use it would be
with taps and/or mirrored ports.

So I don't start a flame war, I'm assuming NIDS is an inline, or inband IDS
at the point of an interconnection from one network to another (like a
router/firewall/single transparent bridge).  Also, this is strictly a
curiousity question, I very much like Snort.

Oh, don't worry about flame wars here.  As long as you don't mention your OS
is bigger than mine, we don't care.  ;-)

What you're really thinking of is a GIDS (Gateway IDS).

In various articles/docs, Snort is often referred to as lightweight, is
this only because it's non commercial?  I'm confused by this term,
although it seems to be disapearing recently.  Anyone?

The real reason is almost historical now...  When Marty first wrote it, it was
tiny and 'light'.  Almost just a simple network packet grepper.  Then as
things got expanded--plugins being the main culprit--it started to get
'plumper'.  It's still light and fast, but it now does things that it's
orginal versions could only dream of.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams