Snort mailing list archives

Re: Spade ---What gives

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:25:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 bthaler () webstream net wrote:

Just to confirm, because neither FAQ is clear on this:
I can have both:
output database: alert, mysql, user=snort, dbname=snort_log host=localhost
password=foo
output database: log, mysql, user=snort, dbname=snort_log host=localhost
password=foo
at the same time, right?

Right.  What does make it a bit clearer is the Snort Users Manual (in both
HTML and PDF on snort.org).

I changed my "log" to "alert" and the number of alerts dropped from about
1000 per hour to about 200... So I'm assuming that "alert" doesn't include
"log".

Well....  There is a difference.  This should explain it:

        http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/logging_methods.txt

Right now, I'm using both "alert" and "log".  Does it matter which is listed
first in the snort.conf?

Snort reads the .conf from the top down.  So if log is first, it will "log"
first.  If alert is, then it "alerts" first.

Now, the question you seem to be asking is "Will it matter to the DB as what
I've order I have them in?"  In the last paragraph of that email Marty sums it
up:  "What this means in practical terms is that if the db plugin is in alert
mode, it will only receive output from alert rules, whereas if it's in 'log'
mode it will receive output from both log and alert rules."

Thanks for all the help, BTW.

No problems!  They don't call me the 'Snort Janitor' for nothing. ;-)

Hope it helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy