Snort mailing list archives

RE: Naming convention of Snort

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () nss co uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:16:54 -0000

D'oh....

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net]On Behalf Of Jason
Hammerschmidt
Sent: 13 March 2002 17:39
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Naming convention of Snort

Why name Snort a NIDS when it's really a Host based IDS.. often being
used as an attempted NIDS via Ethernet taps/port mirroring.  So I don't
start a flame war, I'm assuming NIDS is an inline, or inband IDS at the
point of an interconnection from one network to another (like a
router/firewall/single transparent bridge).  Also, this is strictly a
curiousity question, I very much like Snort.

In various articles/docs, Snort is often referred to as lightweight, is
this only because it's non commercial?  I'm confused by this term,
although it seems to be disapearing recently.  Anyone?
--
Jason Hammerschmidt - direct: 416.643.8560
let the flame wars begin.