Snort mailing list archives

Re: Naming convention of Snort

From: Leigh David Heyman <leigh () ai mit edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:32:11 -0500

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jason Hammerschmidt wrote:

So then what's the difference between a HIDS in promiscous mode (with
tap/mirroring/etc), and a NIDS,

Well, Chris sums it up fairly well with this:

Host Based IDS generally refers to monitoring Host based events such
as process activity or the like.

To me, that means I can have a HIDS on a machine with no ethernet connection.
Granted, that's not going to happen very often, but it could.  :)

In (what I believe to be the simplest terms) a HID can only detect intrusions (or intrustion attempts) to the system on
which it is running.  Whereas a NID can detect intrustions (or attempts) against all (or a subset thereof) systems on a
network.  By running a HID in promisc mode (mirroring etc.) you've basically created a NID (so to answer your question
above there's no real difference)... I've seen portsentry for example run this way (in fact run portsentry on a linux
router and you've turned a HID into what Erek called a GID!)

-Leigh