Snort mailing list archives

RE: RE: Installing SNORT 1.8.3 on win2k server

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:50:28 -0800

Dragos,

I apologize if this is not a Sourcefire associated installer. I was
under the impression that it was, because of the path "Sourcefire" when
it's installed. This is very confusing. I believe the Sourcefire name is
protected and not just anyone is authorized to use it, without
permission of whomever the name belongs. My mistake and I do sincerely
apologize.

However, now that I know you are the person responsible for authoring
this piece of software, I now have someone to point users to for support
for this particular program. I will send them your way if I get stumped
on an installation issue.

I have received a lot of emails concerning this particular piece of
software and it has had this one particular problem from it's inception
to the Snort community, among others.

In this case, which is not at all uncommon for this installer, Y P Chien
had a specific problem with WinPcap and the version he referred to was
"2.3 beta". It's always my first inclination to revert back to a release
version of a particular program if it's a beta they are running, and
then start trouble shooting.

Usually, if they have used an installer type of program, I instruct them
to completely remove the installation and do a manual install. Which in
my opinion is far superior, and they get a first had look and the
experience of actually installing an IDS, along with a lot of
documentation for running Snort on Windows.

I apologize to Y P Chien for not offering this path. I do know there are
a few people that really need an installer type of program and that's
why we here at Silicon Defense, also have one available on our website.

Here at Silicon Defense (not "silidef" as you pointed out in your
response) we have spent many many hours putting Snort support together
for the Windows community. All the way from documenting installations
for step by step procedures, to making sure we have the latest compiled
CVS versions of snort available to download from our website, and in 5
flavors, for Windows. This, in all reality, is a one stop shop for the
Windows user to get everything they will need to get a functional IDS up
and running. This has been at a cost that has been absorbed by us
(Silicon Defense) for the Snort community.

Sincerely,

- Mike

Commercial Snort Support <<->> 1.866.41.SNORT
 Silicon Defense -- <www.silicondefense.com>
    Home of the new SENTRUS Snort sensor!
  Michael Steele - Snort Support Technician