Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + ipchains

From: Ed Wiget <security () rhpstudios com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:24:54 -0500

I was also in this discussion last spring and even tried various
ipchains/iptables configurations and snort on the same box without much
luck..(all ethernet connections and not ppp)....I tried various
configurations of deny all except explicity allowed, allow all but blocking
specific ports/services, and allow all sending to /dev/null.  With baselined
systems running various configurations of iptables/ipchains for several days
undisturbed, snort obviously picked up the allow all configurations better
but was just too insecure to let run without becoming extremely paranoid.  My
normal production configuration is a hub sharing the internet connection with
snort on one box using a listen only ethernet to catch all pre-routed packets
and a firewalled router also running snort to catch the packets to the
lan/dmz.  I came to the conclusion that snort only sees the packets allowed
through the firewall based on these tests.

I believe I posted my results to the list or at least some of the persons in
the discussion.

- --
Ed Wiget
Senior Network Security Consultant