Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + ipchains

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:40:50 -0800

Martijn:

Seems this was a recurring topic, maybe last spring, with inconclusive answers, depending on how well the network layout was described.

I posted my experiences back then, but what I posted was only based upon my setup.

As you state, snort FAQ 1.8 sez:

4.3 --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--
Q: Snort is behind a firewall (ipf/pf/ipchains/ipfilter) and awfully quiet...

A: Your firewall rules will also block traffic to the snort processes.

Certainly snort wouldn't see packets if it was off on *another* box behind the firewall, which I think is what the FAQ is really describing: "...snort is *behind* a firewall..."

My snort is running *on* my firewall box in conjuction with ipchains.

Maybe that's the difference...

Later..

- John