Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + ipchains

From: Guillaume <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 22:12:59 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>:

Guillaume:

It's interesting to note that the HOW-TO doesn't even mention -o except
in a crossreference to ipfwadm commands.
man ipchains says "Copy matching packets to the user space device..."
I've never used it; hardly knew it existed.
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

I would like to capture rejected/denyied packets in raw binary format for a
kind of forensic analysis, in seek of new attacks tracks. For that, ipchains
logs are not enough. All I can do is suspecting these packets just because they
were rejected by ipchains...

My thought is capturing all that and perform snort or any other network utility
post-analysis.
The hardest part being that, if ipchains and snort are up to date, no signature
or rule will match captured traffic... But the goal is to write new ones.

Guillaume