Snort mailing list archives

Re: Silcondefense.com Snort_1.8.b77_MSSQL_Binary

From: "Chris Reid" <Chris.Reid () CodeCraftConsultants com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:11:04 -0600

Stephen,

I was the one who wrote the support for SQL Server in Snort.  For clarification, no it does not use ODBC.  Rather, it
uses SQL Server's "DBLIB".  To get the TSQL script for creating tables/indexes, you will need to download the Snort
source code.  In there, you can find the TSQL script in the "contrib" directory (it's a file called "create_mssql").
To enable logging to the SQL Server database, there should be an example in the "snort.conf" file.

To install Snort (with SQL Server support) on a Win32 machine, it is reasonably comparable to installing Snort with
support for MySQL, while remembering to make any reasonable replacements of "MySQL" with "SQL Server".  The
instructions can be found here:

    http://www.snort.org/docs/acid-win32.html

Chris Reid