Snort mailing list archives

Re: Connection lost

From: Matt Scarborough <vexversa () usa net>
Date: 9 Jul 2001 22:01:52 EDT

Unfortunately, you can not always monitor RAS ("dial-up" on Windows 2000) with
WinPCap. That may be the root of your problem. See Q3 and Q4 and Q9 here.
http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/misc/faq.htm

You can try all the WAN adapters using -i1, -i2, etc., but I think you will
be unsucsessful.  I am mentioning WinPCap because it is required by Snort.
Many sniffers are unable to monitor RAS.

You will have strange results running a "Personal Firewall" and packet capture
software. CommView + Tiny, Snort + AtGuard, Norton + EtherPeek. It does not
matter. That is not a good combo, blocking and sniffing the same IP stack on a
Windows NTx host.

Sorry,

Matt Scarborough 2001-07-10