Secure Coding mailing list archives

InformIT: You need an SSG

From: list-spam at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:56:23 -0500

Hi Gary,

I've worked with organizations that have taken a similar approach with
incident response management. You have a core IR team (within the
security dept) and then you designate IR contacts within specific ops
teams. This approach seems to work ok, but coordination gets to be
problematic, causing me to question scalability and management.
Basically, a lot of effort for an impact that seems to follow a
logarithmic growth pattern. The more it grows, the more it costs to
manage with not as much cost-effectiveness as when the program started.

What I wonder is this: how to do we get from heavy use of "security"
SMEs to where "security" is simply SOP? Moreover, is this even a good
idea, or particularly realistic? From a CMM perspective, it's akin to
our being at Level 0 or 1 right now, with Level 5 being the
disappearance of dedicated security personnel because there's no longer
a need (achievability aside). It's kind of like dissolving large sugar
crystals into water... at first you see the sugar and the water
separately... then over time you just see the solution without being
able to differentiate sugar from water. Anyway...

-ben

Gary McGraw wrote:
hi ben,

You may be right.  We have observed that the longer an initiative is
underway (we have one in the study that checks in at 14 years old),
the more actual activity tends to get pushed out to dev.  You may
recall from the BSIMM that we call this the satellite.  Microsoft has
an extensive satellite with 300 or so people embedded throughout
their huge company (recall that their SSG is 100).  Because the
notion of satellite is not as common a phenomenon in our data, we
can't draw conclusions as clear as the ones we can draw regarding an
SSG.

Think of the SSG and the Satellite as "coaches" and "mentors" who are
tasked with helping development get it right (not simply cleaning up
their messes).  I agree that we have spent too much effort over the
past decade simply trying to assess the mess and not enough getting
dev to change their behavior.   The companies we studied in the BSIMM
are trying to change dev.

As a particular example of where I agree with you that we go off
track as a discipline, consider training.  Teaching developers about
the OWASP top 10 in training may be exciting, but it is nowhere near
as important or as effective as teaching defensive programming.  (And
this from the guy who wrote "Exploiting Software.")  Developers need
to know how to do it right, not just what bugs look like on TV.

gem

company www.cigital.com podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet blog
www.cigital.com/justiceleague book www.swsec.com

On 12/22/09 10:11 AM, "Benjamin Tomhave"