Secure Coding mailing list archives

InformIT: You need an SSG

From: list-spam at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:11:50 -0500

I think the short-term assertion is sound (setup a group to make a push
in training, awareness, and integration with SOP), but I'm not convinced
the long-term assertion (that is, maintaining the group past the initial
push) is in fact meritorious. I think there's a danger in setting up
dedicated security groups of almost any sort as it provides a crutch to
organizations that then leads to a failure to integrate security
practices into general SOP.

What is advocated seems to be consistent with how we've approached
security as an industry for the past couple decades (or longer), and I
don't see this as having the long-term benefit that was desired or
intended. It seems that when you don't make people directly responsible
and liable for doing the right things, they then fail at the ask and let
others do it instead. It's the old "lazy sysadmin" axiom that we script
repeatable tasks because it's easier in the long run.

The question, then, comes down to one of psychology and people
management. How do we make people responsible for their actions such
that they begin to adopt better practices? The basic response should be
to enact consequences, and I think that now is probably an optimal time
for businesses to get very hard-nosed about these sorts of things (high
unemployment means lots of people looking for work means employers have
the advantage). This perhaps sounds very ugly and nasty, and obviously
it will be if taken to an extreme, but we have a serious problem
culturally in that non-security people still don't seem to think, on
average, that security is in their job description. Solve that problem,
and all this other stuff becomes a footnote.

fwiw.

-ben

Gary McGraw wrote:
hi sc-l,

This list is made up of a bunch of practitioners (more than a
thousand from what Ken tells me), and we collectively have many
different ways of promoting software security in our companies and
our clients.  The BSIMM study <http://bsi-mm.com> focuses attention
on software security in large organizations and just at the moment
covers the work of 1554 full time employees working every day in 26
software security initiatives.  One phenomenon we observed in the
BSIMM was that every large initiative has a Software Security Group
(SSG) to carry out and lead software security activities.

I wrote about our observations around SSGs in this month's informIT
article:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1434903

Simply put, an SSG is a critical part of a software security
initiative in all companies with more than 100 developers.  (We're
still not sure about SSGs in smaller organizations, but the BSIMM
Begin data (now hovering at 75 firms) may be revealing.)

Cigital's SSG was formed in 1997 (with John Viega, Brad Arkin, and me
as founding members).  Since its inception, we've helped plan, staff,
and carry out ten large software security initiatives in customer
firms.  One of the most important first tasks is establishing an SSG.

Merry New Year everybody.

gem

company www.cigital.com podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet blog
www.cigital.com/justiceleague book www.swsec.com

non-commercial service to the software security community.

--
Benjamin Tomhave, MS, CISSP
falcon at secureconsulting.net
Blog: http://www.secureconsulting.net/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/falconsview
Photos: http://photos.secureconsulting.net/
Web: http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/in/btomhave

[ Random Quote: ]
"The only source of knowledge is experience."
Albert Einstein