Secure Coding mailing list archives

InformIT: You need an SSG

From: lists at ticm.com (Bret Watson)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:24:39 +0800

At 08:01 AM 22/12/2009, Mike Boberski wrote:
Hi Gary.

To play devil's advocate:

Current organizational practices aside, I would say that
organizations really need more and better toolkits and standards for
developers to use, than they need more and better committees.

I'd have to agree - whilst SSG is probably a great opportunity for a
management consultant, it rarely delivers anything directly useful.
In fact I would go as far as to say that if a SSG delivers something
useful, the organisation was already ready to deliver the changes.
Committees rarely take direct ownership of a problem.

Toolsets may or may not deliver results - depending on if there are
ways around them - too often you hear the excuse "we can't waste time
with that - the business won't wait"

However toolset will work if you have a good properly supported
securty mgmt function :)

Cheers

Bret