Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: Stephan.Neuhaus at disi.unitn.it (Stephan Neuhaus)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:09:42 +0200

On Aug 25, 2009, at 02:35, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

First, security in the software development concept is at least an
intermediate concept, if not advanced.

Not at all. That would be like saying that correctness is also an
advanced concept, because it gets in the way of coding. Security is
about exploiting assumptions (often hidden) that we make when we write
and deploy software. I see no reason why teaching to think about
assumptions should be deferred. You teach math students how to do
proofs right from the beginning for essentially the same reasons :-)

Perhaps this means that the
language itself needs to require strong type checking that enforce
appropriate secure coding behavior?

Unfortunately, security assumptions are rarely written down so I don't
see how they can be enforced at the language or compiler level.

Best,

Stephan