Secure Coding mailing list archives

Functional Correctness

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:43:36 -0400

hi sc-l,

There are many important security researchers who have given up on proving things about software as non-practical.
Among them: Ross Anderson, Virgil Gligor, Bob Blakely, and Fred Schneider.   All four of those guys have been past
silver bullet victims, and each time we discussed the antiquated notion of formal approaches to software development.

Software security is an intensely practical problem that will require a practical approach.  By studying organizations
that are doing a decent job, perhaps we can draw some practical lessons.  That's precisely what we're up to with the
BSIMM <http://bsi-mm.com>.

gem

http://www.cigital.com/~gem