Secure Coding mailing list archives

InformIT: budgeting for software security

From: stephencraig.evans at gmail.com (Stephen Craig Evans)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:34:08 +0800

Hi Jim,

I am an infosec newbie but a fierce historian. I have read your previous
posts and I completely respect you.

I cannot agree with your premise that resources are limited on Planet Earth.
There are gobs and gobs of oil to be had within the boundaries of the United
States but the eco-nazis have prevented it, hence creating $3 dollar gallon
of gas and our dependence on very unsavoury characters. The same with
nuclear power (look up a great George Gilder interview on
itconversations.com).

Of course, that's why all the big security vendors and their underlings (the
mainstream press) create all of this hoopla; otherwise, they would be out of
work.

Cheers,
Stephen

P.S. Thanks to the Moderator for letting this through.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Jim Manico <jim at manico.net> wrote:

 > What does 'green technology' have to do with infosec?

Data centerers worldwide use at least 3% of all global electricity. With
the growing cost of oil/power - most large corporations are looking for ways
to reduce power consumption at their data centers. Google is building new
database centers near cheap power, cheap land, and cheap water. Sun has "bet
the farm" on Green issues. IBM and Intel have green/sustainability
departments as well.

http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Infrastructure/Disruptive-Forces-Sun-Microsystems/

- Jim

Hi Gary,

How can any security conference that has Al Gore as a keynote speaker be
taken seriously? What does 'green technology' have to do with infosec? And
why is his keynote the only one with the tag "*(Please note that this
keynote session will not be available via webcast replay.)"? *Now there's
openness for you  (/sarc). What a joke.

I'm looking forward to your new series of columns; they were getting too
infrequent on Dark Reading.

Cheers,
Stephen