Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insecure Software Costs US $180B per Year - Application and Perimeter Security News Analysis - Dark Reading

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:15:32 -0500

On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
So he's not completely naive, though the history of security metrics
and
standards - which tend to produce code that satisfies the standards
without being any more secure - should certainly give on pause.

One could, I suppose, give rebates based on actual field experience:
Look at the number of security problems reported per year over a two-
year period and give rebates to sellers who have low rates.

Right, so this is where I believe the entire idea would fall apart.  I
don't think we have adequate metrics today to measure products
fairly.  Basing the tax on field experience would also be problematic
to measure well, although I could see this leading to development
organizations getting some sort of actuarial score.

But the real problem with it, as I said, is metrics.  Should it be
based on (say) defect density per thousand lines of code as reported
by (say) 3 independent static code analyzers?  What about design
weaknesses that go blissfully unnoticed by code scanners?  (At least
the field experience concept could begin to address these over time,
perhaps.)

I do think that software developers who produce bad (security) code
should be penalized, but at least for now, I still think the best way
of doing this is market pressure.  I don't think we're ready for more,
on the whole, FWIW.  But _consumers_ wield more power than they
probably realize in most cases.

Cheers,

Ken

-----