Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insecure Software Costs US $180B per Year - Application and Perimeter Security News Analysis - Dark Reading

From: mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA (der Mouse)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:46:43 -0500 (EST)

      Just as a traditional manufacturer would pay less tax by
      becoming "greener," the software manufacturer would pay less
      tax for producing "cleaner" code, [...]

One could, I suppose, give rebates based on actual field experience:
Look at the number of security problems reported per year over a
two-year period and give rebates to sellers who have low rates.

And all of this completely ignores the $0 software "market".  (I'm
carefully not saying "free", since that has too many other meanings,
some of which have been perverted in recent years to mean just about
the opposite of what they should.)  Who gets hit with tax when a bug is
found in, say, the Linux kernel?  Why?

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca