Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insecure Software Costs US $180B per Year - Application and Perimeter Security News Analysis - Dark Reading

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:47:08 -0500

FYI, there's a provocative article over on Dark Reading today.

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=140184

The article quotes David Rice, who has a book out called
"Geekconomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software".  In it, he tried
to quantify how much insecure software costs the public and, more
controversially, proposes a "vulnerability tax" on software
developers.  He believes such a tax would result in more secure
software.

IMHO, if all developers paid the tax, then I can't see it resulting in
anything other than more expensive software...  Perhaps I'm just
missing something, though.

Cheers,

Ken

-----