Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insecure Software Costs US $180B per Year - Application and Perimeter Security News Analysis - Dark Reading

From: steingra at gmail.com (Andy Steingruebl)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:13:15 -0800

On Nov 29, 2007 2:47 PM, Kenneth Van Wyk <ken at krvw.com> wrote:

The article quotes David Rice, who has a book out called
"Geekconomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software".  In it, he tried
to quantify how much insecure software costs the public and, more
controversially, proposes a "vulnerability tax" on software
developers.  He believes such a tax would result in more secure
software.

I like contractual approaches to this problem myself.  People buying
large quantities of software (large enterprises, governments) should
get contracts with vendors that specify money-back for each patch they
have to apply where the root cause is of a given type.  For example, I
get money back every time the vendor has a vulnerability and patch
related to a buffer overflow.

I wrote a small piece about this:
http://securityretentive.blogspot.com/2007/09/buffer-overflows-are-like-hospital.html

Turns out that the federal government isn't paying for avoidable
outcomes anymore.  Certain things fall into the rough category of
"negligence" and so aren't covered.  We ought to just do this for
software via a contracts mechanism.  I'm not sure we want to start out
with a big-bang public-policy approach on this issue.  We'd want to
know a lot more about how the economics work out on a small scale
before applying it to all software.

--
Andy Steingruebl
steingra at gmail.com