Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Secure Coding Certification

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:05:02 -0400

Hi Yo (and everyone else),

I'm afraid that the current test focuses all of its attention on BUGS (in C/C++ and Java).  While we certainly need to
erradicate simple security bugs, there is much more to software security than the bug parade.  Plus when you look into
the material, the multiple choice format makes determining the correct answer impossible at times.

I would rather move away from learning about bugs to learning about defensive programming to avoid bugs in the first
place.  The SANS material focuses entirely on the negative as far as I can tell.  Here's a bug, there's a bug,
everywhere a bug bug.  Better than nothing?  Maybe.

SANS is very good an soliciting everyone's opinion, piling it all up in a nice package, and then charging users for the
result.  SANS is a for profit entity, not a university or a non-profit.  Please don't forget that.

As much as I would love to see a way to determine whether a random coder has security clue, I'm afraid all we will get
out of this effort is perhaps a bit more awareness.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague