Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Secure Coding Certification

From: joe at joeteff.com (Joe Teff)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:46:09 -0500

Best practices vs mitigating risk. Enumerating best practices is much
easier and will most likely be the test's theme. White list validation
is the answer to everything except the difficult choices developers have
to make and often get wrong. Too many times, the white list has to
include those pesky little characters that cause all the problems. White
listing a phone number, amount, or zip code is easy. White listing
people's names, addresses, or comments isn't as easy especially when
business requirements or contractual/legal obligations rear their ugly
head. How mamy times have you seen prepared statements, stored
procedures, or magic quotes be the answer to SQL Injection, yet most
want to consider those very same data stores as trusted. How many
applications do you know where the only entry/exit point
(past,present,future) of the data is that single application? How do you
test the ability for developers to make the best decisions in imperfect
situations?