Secure Coding mailing list archives

Building Security In vs Auditing

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 18:25:45 -0500

Gary, I would love a little refinement of the benefits to badnessometers. Let's say I get a tool to tell me something I
already suspect is wrong, what percentage of the population are better than they expected? The reason why I ask this
question is that in our culture if I have a sense something is wrong, it usually isn't that difficult to find metrics
as to why it is bad and therefore may have the perception of crying wolf as there are lots of bad things in all IT
systems. Sometimes, going from good to great is a better approach than fixing bad and going to good.

Is it better to do such a badness test by doing a POC with one of the tool vendors in this space or do I get additional
lift by going with a consulting firm in this regard (other than an opportunity to be smoozed regarding subsequent
engagements and reused powerpoints and collateral from other gigs)?

What would it take to get some industry analyst coverage in this space? Lots of folks may be of the belief that it is a
waste of time bothering but I would love to at least know if any of the firms here have at least made the effort.