Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:28:24 -0800

mikeiscool wrote:
On 11/14/06, Leichter, Jerry <leichter_jerrold at emc.com> wrote:

The joke we used to make was:  The promise of Java was "Write once,
run everywhere".  What we found was "Write once, debug everywhere".
Then came the Swing patches, which would cause old bugs to re-appear,
or suddenly make old workaround cause problems.  So the real message
of Java is "Write once, debug everywhere - forever".

Now, I'm exagerating for effect.  There are Java programs even quite
substantial Java programs, that run on multiple platforms with no
problems and no special porting efforts.  (Hell, there are C programs
with the same property!)  But there are also Java programs that
cause no end of porting grief.  It's certainly much more common to
see porting problems with C than with Java, but don't kid yourself:
Writing in Java doesn't guarantee you that there will be no platform
issues.

True, but that doesn't mean runtime portability isn't a good thing to aim for.

It means that compromising performance to obtain runtime portability
that does not actually exist is a poor bargain.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com