Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Re: White paper: "Many Eyes" - No Assurance Against Many Spies

From: Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epstein () webmethods com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:16:30 +0100

I agree with much of what he says about the potential for infiltration of
bad stuff into Linux, but he's comparing apples and oranges.  He's comparing
a large, complex open source product to a small, simple closed source
product.  I claim that if you ignore the open/closed part, the difference in
trustworthiness comes from the difference between small and large.  That is,
if security is my concern, I'd choose a small open source product over a
large closed source, or a small closed source over a large open source... in
either case, there's some hope that there aren't bad things in there.

Comparing Linux to his proprietary system is just setting up a strawman.....
of course the fact that he's selling something that conveniently replaces
the strawman he knocks down is simply a coincidence....

--Jeremy