Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: White paper: "Many Eyes" - No Assurance Against Many Spies

From: "Dave Paris" <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:44:43 +0100

A couple key phrases come to mind when reading this:

1) conflict of interest (he's selling "a solution")
2) inappropriate comparison (embedded OS vs. general OS)

I have no problems with someone pointing out flaws in XYZ product when compared to ABC product, provided:

a) they're an independent, uninvolved 3rd party
and
b) the two products are identical in feature, function, and purpose.

So there are "a couple trusted people" who do the core work.  I wonder what their price is to put a flaw in the
product?  If they're smart enough to know the entire system, they're undoubtedly smart enough to hide a subtle flaw.
Money?  Compromising photos?  Threats against themselves or families?  What would it take?

Frankly, I found the entire article nothing but a not-so-thinly veiled advertisement.  Would he be so bold in comparing
against VxWorks or QNX?  Those are his direct competitors, not the general Linux kernel.  If he wants to go head to
head against Linux, he needs to specifically cite and compare against the embedded Linux distributions, be it uClinux
or other.

Kind Regards,
-dsp