Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Re: Hypothetical design question

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:32:47 +0000

I've long thought that a large part of the reason Windows is so
virus-vulnerable is that the user interface uses the same gesture
(double-clicking, or even right-click and choose "open") to run an
executable file and "open" a "document".
silly.  the mac has had this behavior for a long time, well before os
x or even os 9.

Yes, I know.  And I note that the Mac has long been second only to
Windows (and, earlier, DOS) in its vulnerability to such things.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[Ed. I'm going to step in here and ask that we bring this thread back
to the topic of design issues with regard to the hypothetical MUA.
I don't want to go down the path of "my OS can beat up your
OS," please. KRvW]