Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Hypothetical design question

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:36:36 +0000

You might be interested in a paper that was presented/published
[...].  The idea was to create a transaction approach for running
programs.  When you run a program, it creates a copy-on-write version
of every file that gets modified, [...]

This sounds related to a project I worked on for the second half of
2002 at the University of Tromsø.  I don't know where (or, actually,
even whether) it's been published about, but among other things it
supports such semantics: modifying a file is not done by writing over
the current contents, but by creating a new version of the file, with
all versions related in a tree structure.  (Some of the versions may no
longer have their contents saved anywhere, to be sure.)  The semantics
are a poor match to the Unix filesystem semantics, and impedance
matching between them was a major part of my work there, but provided
you can avoid getting stuck in the Unix mold, it's very interesting.

If you want to find out more about it, http://www.pasta.cs.uit.no/ is
the place I'd suggest starting.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               [EMAIL PROTECTED]