Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Interesting article ZDNet re informal software development quality

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:28:13 +0000

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 04:57 pm, Alun Jones wrote:

<snip>

I've long suspected that one of the things that needs to happen in
order for security to make its way into software is for developers to
develop some backbone, so that they can tell their bosses "I can't
give you the feature you've asked for, as securely as is appropriate,
in the time you've asked for.  I will not write it unsecurely, so you
need to determine whether to lose / reduce the feature, or increase
the time".  Sadly, in the current employment climate, we're likely to
see too many people lose their jobs for that kind of
"insubordination", and be replaced by people who don't care as much.

Which tells everything we could possibly want to know about how
important security is to that organization.

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time for developers to become
accredited professionals, and for employers to insist on getting
qualified developers, rather than picking anyone who's read a book on
C.

I just don't think accreditation is the controlling variable in this
situation.  You defined the problem yourself.  The problem is that
feature-rich and time-to-market trumps doing things the right way.
IMHO, that would be the worst possible work environment for a
conscientious, knowledgable professional.  All of the cards are stacked
against him/her and it will be a very stressful place to work until
they can find another job.  It's the management decisions that are the
problem . . . They create their problems.  They create an environment
in which the only people who are willing to stay around are the
clueless ones . . .  Been there, done that.  Don't ever intend to go
back . . .

FWIW,

/g