Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Interesting article ZDNet re informal software development quality

From: "Alun Jones" <alun () texis com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 00:08:58 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of George Capehart
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 10:20 AM

Like security, quality is a process.  My favorite definition
of quality
is "Do it right the first time."

Then go back and fix the parts you missed.  I saw a book a while back with
the title "if you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the
time to do it over?"  I didn't buy the book, but I did pay some attention to
the title.

I've long suspected that one of the things that needs to happen in order for
security to make its way into software is for developers to develop some
backbone, so that they can tell their bosses "I can't give you the feature
you've asked for, as securely as is appropriate, in the time you've asked
for.  I will not write it unsecurely, so you need to determine whether to
lose / reduce the feature, or increase the time".  Sadly, in the current
employment climate, we're likely to see too many people lose their jobs for
that kind of "insubordination", and be replaced by people who don't care as
much.

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time for developers to become accredited
professionals, and for employers to insist on getting qualified developers,
rather than picking anyone who's read a book on C.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]