Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Interesting article ZDNet re informal software development quality

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:48:01 +0000

Carl G. Alphonce wrote:

I think there are issues which software developers must be aware of
and techniques they must be proficient with in order to develop secure
software.  Whether a "stamp of approval" should come from a
certification course or successful completion of an accredited degree
program is a good question.  Members of some professions
("self-regulating professions" I think they're called) must be members
of colleges in order to practice.  These colleges have the authority
to take action against members who do not practice in accordance with
accepted procedures, of who have had complaints lodged against them.

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Such professional
societies only come into existence when the canon of best practices is
well-established. When the best way to get the job done is a matter of
controversial opinion, then the professional society cannot meaningfully
regulate conduct. Here the professional society would actually be
*worse* than the status quo, because they would end up mandating fairly
arbitrary practices, and damning people who follow a different doctrine.
This can lead to political nepotism (think "Spanish Inquisition") and
can also inhibit progress towards better methods that contradict
doctrine (Linus is not using the approved doctrine, so he must be a
heretic like Galileo).

Of course, there is also the risk that something along these lines
becomes a costly and toothless bureaucracy.

Considering the raging success of the Orange Book and the Common
Criteria, I don't see how this could possibly happen :)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com