Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Interesting article ZDNet re informal software development quality

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:49:25 +0000

On Monday 05 January 2004 22:16, Crispin Cowan wrote:
In other news, pundits observe that the Linux kernel's development
methodology violates most of the tenets of Brooks' "Mythical Man Month".
Using ludicrous methods such as distributed development by a diverse
team, many of whom have never met in person, and accelerating
development by adding people, analysts observe that this method could
not possibly work, and therefore the Linux kernel must be a figment of
everyone's imagination :)

*grin*  That sure isn't what I was trying to imply in passing along the ZDnet
article.  (Indeed, my own SOHO environment relies almost exclusively on
Debian -- mostly Sarge and Sid.)  I simply found it interesting that someone
is doing research into how the less formal process affects the quality of the
results.  To me, that has nothing to do with an open (or closed) source
model, but everything to do with the process.  I'm looking forward to reading
their findings.

Cheers,

Ken