Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Hypothetical design question

From: "Dave Paris" <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:17:58 +0000

The problem with "restricting malicious things" is that the same action can
be veiwed as desirable or malicious, depending on intent.  Intent is an
intangible.  Computing systems tend to deal poorly with intangibles.

If I type 'rm -fr /', my intention is to prepare a machine for a new OS
load, prior to a reformat.  If an intruder types 'rm -fr /', his intentions
are *likely* (can't say for sure without directly asking the intruder!) to
be somewhat more malicious.

The OS has no way of determining who the "real" user is and which intention
is desirable and which isn't.  If you try to enumerate a list of
"potentially malicious code" that shouldn't be run from Application X you'll
be at it for the rest of your life; a never-ending, never-winning battle.
:-(

Kind Regards,
-dsp