Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java sandboxing not used much

From: "Jared W. Robinson" <jwr () xmission com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:15:46 +0000

My company outsourced a C to Java porting project to India, and we ended
up having to help them salvage the project. It was obvious that the
engineers were inexperienced. All user data (including authentication
credentials) was stored in an application directory, completely
world-writable.

When I changed the application to be more secure (before it shipped), an
Indie programmer took notice and was surprised that I had accomplished
the task so easily. It certainly wasn't rocket science -- I was just
more experienced.

Without educating engineers, security won't improve.

- Jared