Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java sandboxing not used much

From: "Jared W. Robinson" <jwr () xmission com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:35:15 +0000

I'd go futher - I think it is extremley rare that anyone configures their
sandbox properly. I "do" Java development, and I would guess that less than
10% of application server deployments are done with the Java security
manager enabled.

Complex security systems are often completely ignored. For example, I
think the UNIX permission model is great -- it's simplistic, and fairly
easy to learn and use. As a result, it does get used. ACLs are
significantly more powerful and complex. Many people are tempted to
ignore them or turn them off completely.

The simplicity of the traditional UNIX permission model means that it is
more likely to be used than abused.

This may be applicable to the Java sandbox. It is complex. Maybe if it
were in people's faces more, or if some kind of default sandboxing
occurred, it would be more used.

- Jared