Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Installation and setup of secure applications

From: "Andreas Gaupmann" <andreas () cms ac>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:50:30 +0000

How much involvement do you believe that software developers should
have in
installing and configuring their applications in their host environments?

I think programmers should try to work together with administrators.
These folks know the most about configuration issues. Furthermore, the
security policy of a company is supposed to address issues like:
- What access control models are considered to be secure?
- What information is allowed to be stored unencrypted?
In theory developers need not to start from scratch. Also they can't
deny their responsibility for enabling secure installation and
configuration of applications.

Should applications be designed and implemented such that they make
extensive
use of their host OS security features?  Note that I'm not saying that
they
should _rely_ on it, but should the developers make more use of the
capabilities available to them (sometimes at the cost of easy
portability) as
one of many layers of defense?  If so, how much is {enough|too much}?

The thight integration of OS based security measures with applications
is mostly not useful. If you know exactly in which environment the
application will run than incorporation is a good thing. If this is not
the case then you'll have to consider some points:
- What happens if the OS security safeguards are breached? Will then the
application also be compromised?
- There exist many operating systems. The same can be said in respect to
their security features.
- Whenever some OS security measures are changed you will have to update
your application.

Thus, depending solely on OS security features won't be enough. Almost
always security features have to exist within applications too. I think
that an insecure application is as bad as an insecure OS. A software
developer has the chance to make sure that the application isn't the risk.

Cheers

Andreas Gaupmann