Secure Coding mailing list archives

Installation and setup of secure applications

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:58:25 +0000

All the talk last week here and elsewhere about Personal Firewall Day got me
thinking about one of my personal soap boxes -- application installation and
setup.

After years of seeing countless examples of inadequately installed and
configured applications, I became convinced that we don't pay enough
attention to this phase of developing secure software, by and large anyway.
Plus, I am fully aware that many people don't even agree that this is part of
software development per se.

What I've seen includes applications installed such that their security is
entirely internal to the application.  For example, access control in
databases, account management, etc., that is handled exclusively by the
application.  Most OSes and file systems have access control and/or event
logging features that are never tapped by application developers and
installers -- e.g., NTFS can do Access Control Lists (ACL) and can do
read/write event logging down to individual files, folders, and even registry
keys.  Yet, very few applications make use of these features.  Sure, there
are exceptions that are more closely integrated into their host OS, but they
seem to me to be few and far between.  More often than not, I hear things
like "Oh, that's not my job as a developer." and  "We have an operations team
that takes care of that."

So, my questions here to SC-L are:

How much involvement do you believe that software developers should have in
installing and configuring their applications in their host environments?

Should applications be designed and implemented such that they make extensive
use of their host OS security features?  Note that I'm not saying that they
should _rely_ on it, but should the developers make more use of the
capabilities available to them (sometimes at the cost of easy portability) as
one of many layers of defense?  If so, how much is {enough|too much}?

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk